Thursday, November 4, 2010

Vinho Verde


My junior year of college I studied abroad in Brazil.  While there my host mom introduced me to Vinho Verde – a white wine from Portugal.  On Sunday nights, we would make pasta and she would open up a bottle of Vinho Verde.  We would then plop ourselves on the sofa and watch Brazilian television.  

A year or two ago, Vinho Verde became very popular in New York City.   Feeling nostalgic, I bought a bottle and loved it.

This is a perfect summer wine - light, refreshing and inexpensive.  Although it's autumn weather in NYC, my friends in perpetually sunny south Texas can enjoy this wine year-round.

The best part: I have never spent more than $10 on a bottle of Vinho Verde.

My Favorites:

1. JM Fonseca Twin Vines
Light and fresh, with citrus undertones.  It's about $7 a bottle

2. Casal Garcia
This is my go to Vinho Verde. Tastes a little like peaches and citrus.  SOOOOO good with spicy guacamole.  The best part - it's about $5 a bottle.
 

Food Pair:  Spicy foods like guacamole and pastas in fra diavolo sauces.  Are you serving Mexican food at your dinner party? Go for a Vinho Verde. Remember this is not a fancy wine, it's best for relaxed occasions.

Nifty Tip:  Vinho Verde is Portuguese for “green wine.” It is called that not because the wine is a green color, but because it is not aged.  Vinho Verde is meant to be consumed within a year after being bottled. So if you find a bottle that is older than a year - yuck! Don't drink it.

No comments: