Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sancerre

On Monday I wrote about sauvignon blanc from New Zealand.  I love sauvignon blanc from New Zealand.  It's bold and flavorful.  But when I am looking for a more reserved sauvignon blanc, I turn to Sancerre.

Sancerre is a key region of the Loire Valley in France.  A white Sancerre will always be sauvignon blanc.  This wine is warmer, smoother and more complex than its Kiwi cousin.  Although still a light wine, it's a little more full-bodied.  I think of it this way: New Zealand sauvignon blanc is Joan Jett and Sancerre is Blondie.  Both fun, both great, but one is more in your face than the other.


My Favorites:

1.  Domaine Michel Girard & Fil Sancerre


Smooth, light, flavorful.  It has an herbaceous/grassy bouquet.  About $25 a bottle.

2. Domaine de la Rossignole Cuvee Vieilles Vignes




It tastes fruity - like pears and apples.  It also has a light citrus kick. Very aromatic.  I have only tried the 2008 vintage.  About $19-$20 a bottle.

Food Pair: goes great with seafood,  poultry and cheese.  A warm goat cheese salad and a glass of Sancerre? Yum!!

Nifty Tip: If a bottle says "Sancerre" on its label then, by law, it can be one of only two types of wine: sauvignon blanc (if it's white) or pinot noir (if it's red).  Other grapes are grown in the Sancerre region, but they cannot name the Sancerre region on their bottles.

2 comments:

Penguin said...

That 'sancerre' is a great tip,
I never knew that!

Vino de Casa said...

Thanks, Penguin!