Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Lone Star State


I live in New York City, but I was born and raised in south Texas.  Although I spend about 95% of my time in New York, I have a home in Texas.  This is the story of how I came to buy this house.  I was ready to invest in real estate, but prices in NYC are alarmingly high.  I could not find a two bedroom apartment in Manhattan under $700K.  Absolutely outrageous, huh?

One day I randomly decided to research the real estate market in my hometown.  And I saw this house.  It was love at first sight.  Two weeks later I was on a plane and had an appointment with a real estate agent.  Over the course of one weekend, I viewed this house 3 times.  I loved it.  I also viewed lots of other houses in the area, but none spoke to me the way this one did.

And so on Sunday afternoon, just hours before departing for my return trip to NYC I decided to make an offer on the house.  On the plane, I felt my insides twist and turn.  Is this a smart way to invest my money?  How much time would I actually spend in the house?  Would I ever (gasp) consider moving out of NYC and back to Texas?  I was full of doubts but felt comforted by the fact that I had a 10-day period in which I could retract my offer.  I prayed for help - a sign telling me what to do.

I arrived in NYC on Sunday night and on Monday morning I had an email waiting in my inbox.  It was from an old childhood friend I had lost touch with after high school graduation.  She emailed me to tell me that she'd had a dream about me and it had been such a vivid dream that she tracked me down via Facebook.  In her dream, I was showing her a building.  The building was mine and I was immensely happy.  In the dream, I was showing her around and talking with her about a new project that was somehow connected to the building.

As bright as day - I took this to be my sign. My offer was accepted and the house is happily, now mine. I am a full-fledged grown-up now.






5 comments:

Unknown said...

The house looks so great ! Can't wait to read about the decorating of it.

Vino de Casa said...

Thanks, Alexis! I can't wait to post pictures of the interior.

Contact T & K said...

V! Congratulations! I didn't know you bought a house! Can you post more photos of it? Where is it located? It looks beautiful - you will have to invite me for a visit!! Miss you lots and lots!


XOX,

Travis

Vino de Casa said...

T!! I miss you so much! Yes, I bought a house in Texas. Am thinking my days in NYC may be numbered. It's just not the same without you. xoxo

MsEricaSaenz said...

Wonderful! Can't wait to see it...and drink wine in it!