Friday, November 5, 2010

My Bookshelf Challenge

Lonny Magazine is a free online magazine I subscribe to for really fun interior design ideas.  It reminds me of the awesome, but sadly now defunct Domino magazine. 

I need some inspiration to decorate my own bookcase at home.  Browsing on Lonny's  bookshelves section I found two that I really like:



Here is one from Style at Home 



Here is a current picture of my bookshelf at home in NYC (clearly my photography skills leave much to be desired):




I find it helpful to take a photo of a room or nook of room to get perspective. These are bad pictures (calling on my friend Penguin for help!) but the bookshelf is a shiny white lacquer.

I think some of the items on the shelves are way off balance (like the very top one).  Hmmm...

I like the bold colors in the inspirational photos.  Bold and playful. I will play around with things and this just may call for a trip to the Chelsea flea market next weekend. :)  My budget is $80. Not a penny more.

Once I added the finishing touches, I will post a picture.

4 comments:

Penguin said...

I don't think they are bad pictures of your bookcase at all! How did the redone bookcase come out? Will we get update pics?

Vino de Casa said...

Yes, updated pics should come later today!

Unknown said...

I really love the chair in the picture from the Style at Home photo ! And how the books are arranged by color.

Vino de Casa said...

@alexis - I love that chair! I tried organizing my books by color, but it didn't work. Most of them have white spines. Another way to achieve that look is to buy clear acrylic magazine butlers and organize magazines by spine color.