Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Week of Joy - Day Three

Today is all about wine.  Wine is one of life's greatest pleasures.  I enjoy cocktails and cognac from time to time, but I could easily forgo those things for the rest of my life.  Wine, however, is sacred to me.  I love the smell, the taste, the complexity of wine.  I love the history of wine. I love the geography of wine.  I love the process of making wine.   I would happily plan my vacations around the wine regions around the world.

Simply put: wine brings me joy.


For today's post, I will focus on a budget friendly zinfandel: Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel

This is a full-bodied wine with rich black raspberry notes. It also has a pleasant spiciness - like black peppercorns and a toasty oakiness.  This is not a fruity wine, but it is flavorful.  This particular wine always reminds me of my friend T.  In the past, T and I have often go through many (many) glasses of this zinfandel over dinner and conversation.

The best part - it retails (outside of NYC) for around $10 or $11 a bottle.

Food Pair:  this wine is best enjoyed with food.  I think it goes perfectly with bread, crackers and cheese.  Or a juicy, greasy burger - yum!  I once enjoyed this at Thanksgiving dinner and it was amazing.


Nifty Tip: this type of wine is called Zinfandel in the U.S. and Primitivo in Italy.

No comments: