Sunday, December 12, 2010

Living Room Update

When my mom asked me for advice on how to decorate her living room, it took me all of one hour to plot something out.  Taking into account her tastes are very different from mine, I gave her a new layout scheme, a list of accessories and ideas for window treatments.  And yet decorating my own spaces takes me weeks!! Why?  There are so many pretty things I like and I change my mind with every pretty picture I see. 

But yesterday I read something that hit home for me:  "Style is knowing who you are and what works for you." - Frank Muytjens.  He is the head of JCrew Men's Design.

So while I love and can appreciate printed upholstery, I know that I like to constantly change accessories and play with different color schemes.  Case in point: I love the printed slipcovers on the chairs below, but I bought them in a slipcover because I know that I will want to change the look soon. By sticking to neutral pieces, I can constantly play with different pillows, throws, lamps, artwork and window treatments.

These are current pictures of my living room in Texas:


It looks very bare without accessories. huh? I have decided to stop flip flopping and just choose a design scheme already.   After revisiting my favorite living room ever for inspiration:



Here is what I have decided on:

It's a very neutral palette that I intend to play up with accessories.  I already ordered that wingback chair during an awesome sale at WS Home.  I got a 30% discount and free shipping!  Those slipper chairs are the same ones I currently have with a different cover.  And those rattan chairs are very affordable chairs from Crate and Barrel.  The dark wood side chairs currently in my living room will be moved to my patio.

Now I can focus on my accessories scheme.  I want to play with orange, grey, white and blue accessories!

No comments: